Sunday, January 10, 2010

Uninspiration.

Yesterday morning was Taking the Next Step. It's this huge production put on by my school to sort of encourage kids to start thinking about what they are going to do after graduation. In theory it's a really good idea, but in practice I was left unimpressed and uninspired.

The day starts with a keynote by an alum who is doing something crazy cool and important. We had a guy from the Peace Corps. He was interesting I guess, but he did the typical name-dropping thing that is lesson number one you learn at my school. Like seriously, its a requirement for graduation, be good at ridiculous name dropping.

The next couple of hours were marked by two sets of panel discussions. We were asked to pick one from each set and go listen to what they have to say. The first I sat in on was the NGOs and IR one. Which was all NGOs and no IR. I do IR in my studies so I was quite disappointed. There was also a huge medical leaning to the panel, which is something I'm not interested in, so general fail. I sat with my friend Danny and we tried to flick pens in circles and stuff. That was more fun.

The second panel was on Consulting. I've toyed with the idea of going into Consulting, and even applied for a consulting gig, but I'm still unsure if I wanted to do it. I wanted to be inspired by the panel, in either direction, but I just sort of heard what I assumed. It was more interesting than the first but still nothing crazy. An old MUN friend of mine was actual on the panel, so it was nice to see him. But yeah, still unsure about consulting.

Lunch was a roundtable with an alum with a cool job. I signed up for a roundtable with someone in "Government". BAD IDEA. Ended up with a woman who works in local government and ran for an aldermanic post. I worked with an Alderman and would NEVER, EVER work in that direction. So it was a total waste, the lady couldn't really help me with anything else :(

So yeah, generally I was uninspired by the event. Maybe other people were, but I guess I just didn't pick things that were right for me. And well, I'm a 4th year and the program was designed for 2nd and 3rd years... haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment