Sunday, December 27, 2009

Seriousness

So let's be serious for a minute, because to be honest this blog has already dissolved into me posting random youtube videos, not that there is anything wrong with that ;-)

In all seriousness though, so that you get to know me and my true essence or whatever, I'm a 21 year old college student at one of America's Top 10 universities... not saying which but I'm sure you'll read about it soon enough. I'm doing joint degrees in Political Science and International Studies, with a bit of French on the side for good measure. I basically vibe on International Relations but we don't have that at our school so I sort of had to make it up for myself.

I'm in my fourth and final year at school which has been fun but is certainly stressful. Course wise this year is pretty chill, I've exhausted all of my core requirements and I'm pretty much done with degree work. The big daddy is my Thesis. Gahhh. Only like a 40 page original research paper... it's fabulous. I'm writing on the failures to reform the Security Council since 1993. I think it's absolutely fascinating, but would rather not engage the theoretical reasons, even though they are sort of the core of the argument. Ask me about it and I'll write more sometime.

In life I work at one of the campus libraries. I've been doing library work all my life, which means I'm rather good at it (or so I'd like to think). My current job is a data-entry-ish gig where I basically make sure all the books in the library have barcodes, and if I don't I enter the new ones. It's a pretty easy gig and I like that I get a desk and whatever. Can't see myself doing this all my life though.

I'm also super involved in Model United Nations. I don't compete anymore, but I work on organizing and hosting Model UN Conferences. This year I'm working on 4 different conferences, in a huge variety of roles (chairing a committee, crisis directing a committee, serving as an under-secretary general for a conference, and serving as the big boss secretary-general for a conference). I love it. If I could do this my whole life I would totally do it. Like I've considered on several occasions, rather seriously, going into teaching so I could run a MUN team. Still considering it actually.

I graduate in June 2010 and from there I plan to enter the REAL WORLD. Scary shit. I sort of blew my chance on taking the GRE and thus applying to graduate school (not that I can afford that anyways) so I'm working on trying to find a job. Something that is hopefully in the IR realm, preferably with a bit of travel involved, and in a cool city. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to find a suitable job in this market though, so I'm doing my best. Mostly I just hope to have something lined up when I graduate, I don't really want to be a great disappointment to the fam or whatever and end up working at like AfterSchool or some shit (although that is always an option, that or library stuff).

For now I'm just rolling with it, trying to get shit done and keep my head above the water. That's where the funny youtube videos come in, and my current obsession with BBC Radio 1. Without the slight distraction I would probably break down and cry a lot. Instead I listen to a little Tinchy and a little JLS and maybe some Lily Allen and I realize things will work themselves out...

xoxox Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment