Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

A very nondescript sort of Christmas Eve this year. Broke a few traditions because no one could really agree on anything. I mean typically we go see a film for Christmas Eve, but this year no one could agree on a single film. I wanted to see Avatar but we missed the 3D showing. My sister wanted to see Princess and the Frog, which I'm sure is cute, but I knew my ADD would destroy me if I attempted that one. The Blind Side (my mother's choice) was a definite no. Not because it looks bad (even though I don't think I could ever like it) but because I wanted comedy or fighting, which apparently aren't good elements for a Christmas Eve movie. So no movie. I proposed going bowling but was shot down immediately. Probably because I always win.

Instead we just went out to lunch at the Hubbard Ave. Diner. I usually really like it but today it was awful. Our waitress failed to mention that they were doing breakfast all day so I had a terrible sandwich and fries. If only I'd have known I would have had french toast... :(

After we went to rent a movie (because we agreed that it would be the best way to spend the afternoon). It took over 30 minutes to agree on a film, because my mom was being a bit whiny about fighting movies. We ended up with Angels and Demons, which was no ones choice. In the end I fell asleep on the couch.

Right before dinner my bro showed up. He's a bit of a slouch. We had the traditional meal, a boatload of appetizers. My mom usually does up a few different finger foods, a pizza, shrimp, chicken wings (!), etc... and we sort of graze. It's always a yearly highlight. And we do the same meal for New Years Eve too so its sort of a double double deal. I ate almost all of the chicken wings, because hello they are my favorite food, and then felt sort of ill the rest of the evening.

We attempted a game of Monopoly, but I cheated within about 15 mins and then it got stupid. Lesson, never make me the person who looks after the unsold property cards or the bank. I sort of conveniently slip things into my pile. And OK maybe I stole two properties that made me eligible for houses and hotels, but still. My brother wouldn't trade anything and my sister sucks so I was stuck with like Baltic Avenue. Game over.

After that we sort of just did our own things. My brother needed to make a mushy phone call to his GF and my sister had gotten sort of weird. I determined the best bet was just to go to bed so Santa could come instead of sit around with the fam some more. I enjoyed a bit of a Scott Mills podcast (more on that another time) and a hot chocolate.

So yeah, weird Christmas Eve. But fun. This time last year I was vomiting like mad in Paris so I guess its a little better.

xoxox Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment