Sunday, June 27, 2010

Today Was Interesting...

Had a bit of a strange day and thought I might as well post about it. Maybe its because I'm trying to re-find some of the legitimacy this blog was intended to have, or maybe because I'm bored as hell, but whatever the case here goes...

1. I've forgotten how small this town is. When I tell people where I'm from I always say Madison because they've maybe heard of it and it sounds more city ish. To be real I was born in a town called Cross Plains, at the time it had mayyybe 1000 residents, though thats probably a stretch. Its bigger now, but still maintains a total small town vibe. The town I live in now, Middleton, is maybe 20,000. Bigger, but still nothing compared to Chicago. Yeah my graduating class had like 500 kids in it, but we were from all over the area. Point is, this town is tiiiny. No joke, every single day since I've been home I've run into at least one person I know. Not like, walk past them on campus, but like, I just saw my 4th grade bffs Dad at a garage sale and he still remembers me. Awkward shit like that. Or running into a sort of friend from high school in the underwear department in Target this afternoon. That was cute.

2. This town is not only tiiiny, its rural as hell. I sort of forgot that I live two minutes from corn fields and that my allergies go bonkers this time of year. Don't have to deal with hayfever in Chicago, WHERE THERE IS NO HAY. At the same time I sort of like it... Its AMAZING for running and riding my bike, but its really missing that sparkle that Chicago has. Also, I'm pretty sure I smell a skunk out my open window right now and I'm not really ok with that. Typical.

3. I sort of resent the fact that you need a car to do anything here. I don't have one yet, which is part of it, but its still super annoying. Why can't I walk a couple blocks and end up at Starbucks, or better, Jimmy's? Why don't all of my friends live within a 20 minute walk or 5 minute shuttle ride from me? This whole car thing really cramps my style. Then you have to start dealing with parking spots (or garages if you are downtown, ugh), and gas money. Its no fun. And of course without a car yet I'm also stranded at my parents house unless the stars align and I'm able to steal my mom's mini van for a few hours. Let me tell you, rolling up to shit in a mini van is hot. If things work out I will hopefully have a new car by tomorrow, but my luck the car I want probably got sold yesterday and I have to start from square one. FML if that happens (which it will).

4. I went to my friend's little sister's high school graduation party today. This may sound weird, but its totally legit. I've known Monica since she was like three or four, and had a terrible bowl cut. I sort of felt I had to go. Of course it didn't disappoint at all. First person I saw... my friend Tanya, who I'd totally blown off plans with later in the afternoon because I wanted to spend a lot of time at the grad party (Read, this town is TOOO small). I had a great conversation with Monica (and my bff Catherine's) mom... she was a bit tipsy to be fair, but I love her. She's probably the closest thing to a "second mom" for me... known her since second grade and she's definitely watched over me a bit. I told her I'd friend her on Facebook, classic. Then the probably most awkward part of the day happened... the Roland's showed up (that's not awkward, they are good friends of mine) and I had a stunning conversation with their mother (that's the awkward bit). I've met her once, when I was 19 I think, and that evening in itself was incredibly awkward. I did not want to relive it (which we did) and I did not really want to discuss any other awkward things that have happened between me and that family (there are quite a few lol). As soon as she left I got myself another drink... just sayin. Then it was good from there for the most part. Hung out with a bunch of high school friends and the like, had a great catch up. And of course I got a great elitist jab in... One of the math teachers from my high school was there and my friends mom mentioned that a bunch of us had gone to Middleton and he asked if he'd had any of us as students or if we were "too advanced," to which I promptly and shamelessly pipped up, "I was too advanced!" We then proceeded to have a conversation about where we went to school and what we studied and I was able to redeem my elitism by talking about the UofC... lol whoops. I've got to learn to keep this sort of stuff in around these people. Or not.

5. My crazy grandma and her bf came tonight. I hated every minute of it, like I usually do, and drank two glasses of champagne and ate no dessert with the hope that the champagne would kick in faster. The highlight of the conversation was when I mentioned that I'd worked with a school in Lincoln Park on their Model UN stuff and my grandma's bf responded with "You know, there is a totem pole somewhere in Lincoln Park." That's right. Model UN --> Totem poles. Winners.

So yeah, you can see why some of this maybe needed to be documented? Or not... Who knows with me. All I'm sayin is that I'm pretty ready to buy a flipping car (tomorrow fingers crossed) and got rolling on the new fancy job. I swear if those people aren't semi normal I may runaway and never come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment