Friday, May 7, 2010

JLS -- The Club is Alive

So JLS have released a minute of their upcoming single "The Club is Alive" ...of course this had me up early and squealing like a tween, but who cares right? I sat down before work this morning and listened through it once, and then again, and then I put it on the loud speakers because my roommates were up and had one more listen.

http://www.jlsofficial.com/gb/songs/the-club-is-alive/

After the first listen I was a bit confused. Was this really JLS? The second listen through was better as I started to feel the vibe of the song and all that. And then on the speakers... I feel in love.

The track is a bit different than their past tracks, which is already creating some controversy online. It's definitely a big dance number, intended to be a summer jam type song... hence the name "The Club is Alive". There is a lot of effects on it, and they use autotune a bit (which let's be real is in these days... ask the Black Eyed Peas, Ke$ha, Gaga...), but JLS is still down there. The hook bit is straight up boy band harmony, so JLS are still in there doubters.

The most unsettling bit on first listen was the sound of music sample... "the club is alive with the sound of music" But after a few listens I actually really like that part, and think Steve Mac (the producer) is sort of a genius. It's insanely catchy too, I've already gotten it stuck in my head and I've only heard a one minute clip.

The boys have pretty much achieved everything they've needed to in this record. It's almost summertime and they need a big banger and they've got one. I predict it'll go big in the UK Charts, and it could do well in the US if they chose to release it over here. It'll also let them take some time to sort out a big jack-the-lad swing hit for the fall which will be more vocally challenging...

I'm definitely looking forward to the full version and the video, watch this space for more ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment