Sunday, February 7, 2010

MUNUC 2010

So as I may have mentioned previously, I'm a Model United Nations nerd. Like, I do A LOT of Model United Nations. So much so that I should probably get paid to do it. (Actually, there are some vague ideas about finding ways to get paid to do MUN, haha). Anyways, this weekend was MUNUC, which is my university's high school conference. At Conference I served as the President of the Security Council (yeah that's right). I had two pre-set agenda topics for the kiddies, the Situation in North Korea (aka nuclear nonprolif) and the Situation in Zimbabwe (lol Mugabe). We spent three of the four days discussing North Korea, which was fine, and the kids wrote and passed three sort of vague resolutions on the topic.

Then, Saturday night we had a super fun fancy midnight crisis! So basically we just dragged all of the delegates out of bed at like 1:30am to discuss a serious crisis situation that had just arisen. We sort of made up that the PM of Zimbabwe was poisoned, and then that Mugabe died... which meant that Zimbabwe had no leader and was in total clusterfuck status. I think it said that inflation was in the sextillion percent range... haha. The kids had to debate and ultimately pass a resolution on the issue before we could go to bed. I think we finished at like 6:00am or so. I don't know, I finally got into bed at 7:15am. And then got up like 15 mins later...

Sunday I didn't hold session because that would have been cruel, but I wandered around to a lot of the other sessions to see what was going down. I may have sat on the ECOFIN dais for awhile, but I was so out of it that I don't really remember. It was fun though.

MUNUC is fun because its quite unique to my school. I went to this conference when I was in high school, and it was by far the best I went to. When I began undergrad here I knew that I definitely wanted to get involved and I had the opportunity to make a lot of ahhmazin friends through the organization. This was my third year staffing the conference (I missed it last year when I was in Paris), and I'm definitely pleased with my experiences. I def cried a little bit when the conference ended today (to be fair, a lot of people did, lol sleep deprivation).

Never fear though, I've got THREE more conferences this year! So I'm sure you'll hear a lot more about my silly MUN experiences. Going to bed now... maybe.

xoxox Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment